Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Courtesy of MLB.TV, I watched most of Zack Greinke's start tonight. I'll start by reminding everyone that he's pitching against the Expos, which has the worst offense in baseball. Now that we have that out of the way...

He...was...AWESOME.

Z. Greinke (in progress): 7IP, 3H, 0R, 0ER, 0BB, 5K

He has incredible command, the ability to throw 10 different speeds, throws four above average pitches, and has excellent late movement on his fastball. And he's just so COOL on the mound. He throws so lazily it looks like he could never hurt himself. He always looks like he can throw a strike when he really wants to. His strikeout pitch to left handers is fantastic - a sinking breaking ball that just bottoms out to the knees at the last instant. I firmly believe his strikeouts will pickup as he gets accustomed to major league hitters.

I only recall two reasonably hard hit balls all night - a single up the middle and fly ball hit to the warning track to right (that drifted), but neither of those balls were smoked. The other two hits were a bunt and flare to left.

I know its just a few starts, but he does remind me a lot of Greg Maddux.

I'm very, very impressed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home